Recently I have been searching for well-made period dramas to watch. While I have found a few recommendation lists, after researching the films, I found that the majority are not the type of movies that I would watch. So, being a girl with a blog, I decided to create my own list of clean period drama recommendations.
I do not claim to be an expert on the genre or to have seen every good film (if I had I wouldn’t be searching for more). And I leave the analysis of plots, characters, and filming devices to Jerome Weiselberry. This is simply a list of movies that I like.
Period drama is one of those murky things that I know when I see it, but is a struggle to define with words. Here are my qualifications for this list.
- The events of the film must take place in a time period before the movie was made.
- The film must include some sort of love story
- It must be a clean film. PG-13 is my limit.
- The film cannot be a musical, western, or primarily a war film. As much as I love The Sound of Music, you will not find it on this list.
- For this list, the plot must be fictional. Which is another reason why The Sound of Music is not on this list. Perhaps someday I will write a list of my favorite historical period dramas.
Remember, this is a list of movies that I have seen and enjoy. If a period drama you particularly like isn’t on this list, I either haven’t seen it or didn’t care for it. For example, I am still waiting for a film version of Persuasion that can capture the essence of Anne’s character and the pining beauty of the story. Despite the fact that it is my favorite Austen novel, none of the adaptions are on this list.
Also, these are in no particular order. Continue reading “Period Drama Film Recommendations (Updated 9/2016)”